Welcome to The Foster Care Agency! Give us a call on 0808 178 8909 or register your interest here

thumb image

Fostering with The Foster Care Agency

Fostering Allowance

Once you have a child or young person in placement you will receive a generous fostering allowance.
As a foster carer you will receive a generous tax free allowance (subject to status) per week for every young person placed with you, plus other benefits. The fostering allowance is provided to cover living costs and the fostering fee offers a reward element in recognition of the demands of the fostering role.
If you are currently approved as a foster carer with either a different fostering agency or the local authority, we will treat your enquiry with the highest level of confidentiality.

At The Foster Care Agency you will have a dedicated team that will be able to support your every step of the way with the transfer process. We recognise and value our carers expertise and are committed to promote them. We will handle the transfer by working together with your current provider, to ensure an efficient and smooth transition

You’ll need to register as self-employed and pay NI contributions, and you might also be entitled to Working Tax Credit.

It’s intended to cover all the needs of each foster child including food, clothing, travel, activities, savings and so on. We provide clear guidance on how you can best spend the money so that the child has a healthy, happy and balanced life. We find that our foster carers are fully able to meet the needs of any child placed with the team and to assist with their own living costs.

In general, foster carers are exempt from paying tax on the fostering allowance.
The exception to this would be if you are a foster carer with multiple placements or additional work that gives you an income above the current government threshold.
For tax purposes, foster carers are regarded as self-employed. You can find out more about this from HM Revenue & Customs here.

All foster carers must register as self-employed and pay National Insurance contributions. Find out more by contacting the newly self-employed helpline here.

Fostering counts as self-employment, so you may be entitled to Working Tax Credit and also Child Tax Credit if you have children of your own.

To find out if you are eligible for any additional benefits or fostering allowances, please contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).